RBKweb
 OM RBKweb
 ANNONSEINFORMASJON
 RSS-KANAL
 ARKIV
 TA KONTAKT
SØK I ARTIKLER
Debattforum

Alle kan lese innleggene, men man må registrere seg for å delta aktivt i diskusjonene.
Everyone can read the posts, but you have to register before writing your own posts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatistikkStatistikk   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The interest for English News
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

(For English readers) Do you read the English news?
No, never
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Sure, once a month or so ...
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
I'm new, but find it a good option
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, I check the english news at least once a week!
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
(I'm Norwegian and just want to view the results)
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

haavarl
Forumsjef

PostPosted: 19.11.2004 09:51    Post subject: The interest for English News Reply with quote

I wonder, how many do really read the English News from rbkweb.com? Is it any point in continuing the translationing of most news articles?

Our Czech fan uses it for his RBK homepage, but that has 1 reader as I understand it.

What do you other English reading folks think?
Czech rbk fan
Senior

PostPosted: 19.11.2004 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pages were visited by over 2000 people. It is great, isn´t it? And I still translate your articles and add them into my pages.
So, continue!! Cool Czech rbk fans value it!!!
DaMarcus Beasley
Junior

PostPosted: 25.11.2004 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it once every one or two weeks, but just because Rosenborg is in our Champions League poule right now.
RBKcanada
Senior

PostPosted: 26.11.2004 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the English news is a godsend. Please don't discontinue it! It is very important for me to have this service. I am quite disappointed that a big European club like Rosenborg does not have an english side to the official web site!
arnt
Veteran

PostPosted: 27.11.2004 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBKcanada wrote:
I am quite disappointed that a big European club like Rosenborg does not have an english side to the official web site!

Maybe because we're not, in fact, all that big... and perhaps because we're not used to having all that many foreign fans either. We, as Norwegians, are used to following foreign (ie English) teams and not the other way around.

Quite honestly, as gratifying it is to see that Rosenborg has fans in such far flung places as Denmark, Canada, Germany and the Czech Republic, I think we locals are just as much mystified that you actually take an interest in our team. Since so many of us are avid followers of the English Premier League, we kind of assume that most foreigners would be more interested in such teams as Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham or (God forbid) Man U.

And maybe there's a bit of cultural bias at work here, but I'd have thought that you, RBKcanada, and perhaps our friend from the Czech Republic, would be more interested in icehockey than football... It just goes to show you can't brush everybody with the same comb, as we say 'round these parts. Wink

Btw, Trondheim does have a rather good hockey team as well, if you

are interested. They're called TIK, or Black Panthers nowadays and they're top of the league... Wink
Nei, der skal Kugle til en Thrønder!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 27.11.2004 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnt wrote:
Btw, Trondheim does have a rather good hockey team as well, if you are interested.

TIK have quite a few players from Canada in their roster this season: Mark Bell (ex Chicago Blackhawks ), Nick Smith (ex Florida Panthers) and Duane Harmer.

Specially Bell and Smith have been excellent this season, and right now TIK are in top of the league, as Arnt writes.
joakleis
Veteran

PostPosted: 28.11.2004 00:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why and how have this "discussion" suddenly moved from RBK-News in English to Trondheims Ice Hockey team?
While we're talking about TIK, it's good to know that at least one team from Trondheim, can beat VÃ¥lerenga from Oslo, in their league. Earlier this week, TIK trashed VÃ¥lerenga 6-4. That's good news, when we all know Rosenborg didn't manage to win at Ullevaal last saturday.
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 28.11.2004 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

...back to the first topic: Even though just a few foreigners have voted, HÃ¥vard, I'm sure that quite a few more are reading the news. After I changed the server in September, I sadly don't have statistics showing the origin of the visitors anymore (Maybe I should fix one?), but the old one showed visitors from all over the world... Smile
haavarl
Forumsjef

PostPosted: 29.11.2004 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe ... quite predictably, RBKCanada and our Czech friend are the most eager readers. However, it was interesting to see that the Czech RBK site has that many readers, and your info about visitors from all over, Thomas.
(And, DaMarcus, even if you won't read these news for a long time, I guess you represent the supporters of our E-cup-adversaries, that reads the news for a period of some months.)

I conclude that the English News Service is worth continuing. Tough, I'll probably stick to one batch of translations a week, unless something special comes up.

Btw. What is the English word for "hengende spiss"? (The man behind the lone center forward in a 4-2-3-1-system; a second forward behind the first one (also in 4-4-2).) I used the term "hidden forward" in lack of something better. Suggestions, anyone?
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 29.11.2004 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Attacking midfielder", maybe?
arnt
Veteran

PostPosted: 30.11.2004 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

haavarl wrote:
Tough, I'll probably stick to one batch of translations a week, unless something special comes up.

Btw. What is the English word for "hengende spiss"? (The man behind the lone center forward in a 4-2-3-1-system; a second forward behind the first one (also in 4-4-2).) I used the term "hidden forward" in lack of something better. Suggestions, anyone?

HÃ¥vard, I'd only be happy to lend a hand with translations, if it's a question of capacity... Smile

Could 'Offensive Midfielder' be the correct term?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
haavarl
Forumsjef

PostPosted: 30.11.2004 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a question of capacity and desire I guess.

I have no problems with you helping me; however, that I'll leave to 2mas to decide. If he thinks it's a good idea to have English News published faster, if could be an idea to let you do some work as well.
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 30.11.2004 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think it's that important to be up to date 24/7 on the English version. Some updates now and then is what I expect. This wish HÃ¥vard has fullfilled, in my eyes.
RBKcanada
Senior

PostPosted: 30.11.2004 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one would love to see daily updates but I know that isn't practicle. I am happy with once or twice a week as long as it covers all the important news that is covered on the Norwegian side. Also I' am very interested in finding out how I can get one of those jackets that Perry and Eggen were wearing in the picture that was on this site a few weeks ago. It has REMA 1000 on the back. If anyone could help it would be great!
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 30.11.2004 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find the Perry/Eggen pic here: Sirkus Eggen på Lerkendal
arnt
Veteran

PostPosted: 01.12.2004 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems 2mas, you're the boss. I'll be happy to help out though, should the need arise. It would be nice to get some pratical use out of all my english skills... Wink
haavarl
Forumsjef

PostPosted: 01.12.2004 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you need to practice your English, I am sure our Czech supporter would love some help. Earlier he has asked for someone to translate misc. articles about Rosenborg and Trondheim to his Czech RBK fan site. Dig up articles and write! Smile
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 01.12.2004 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

2mas wrote:
I personally don't think it's that important to be up to date 24/7 on the English version. Some updates now and then is what I expect. This wish HÃ¥vard has fullfilled, in my eyes.

Even though I'm satisfied with today's situation, the Enligsh news don't necessarily have to be written by HÃ¥vard solo. If he would like to have some help, Arnt may give him a hand or two.

HÃ¥vard, what do you think?
haavarl
Forumsjef

PostPosted: 02.12.2004 07:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll pm Arnt.
oyvindh
Rutinert

PostPosted: 04.12.2004 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

2mas wrote:
"Attacking midfielder", maybe?

I spoke to an englishman the other day, and he confirmed that "attacking midfielder" would be the correct English term for what we know as "hengende spiss" in Norwegian.
duttend
Proff

PostPosted: 05.12.2004 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

oyvindh wrote:
I spoke to an englishman the other day, and he confirmed that "attacking midfielder" would be the correct English term for what we know as "hengende spiss" in Norwegian.

Attacking midfielder is correct but not quite accurate. Withdrawn striker (tilbaketrukken spiss) is a better word. Or if it's a player like Henry (not Johnsen Smile) you can say central forward. A player that likes to go out on the flanks but also works like a striker.
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 05.12.2004 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

duttend wrote:
Withdrawn striker (tilbaketrukken spiss) is a better word.

Is that a common term? I'm not an English expert, but I read a lot of football related articles in English, and have never seen that term.

In my eyes, "withdrawn" are more like "reserved" (personality).

Conclusion: I'd go for attacking midfielder, as I suggested last week.
mania
Junior

PostPosted: 06.12.2004 00:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I'm concerned, the player linking the midfield and the strikers is called a support man
arnt
Veteran

PostPosted: 06.12.2004 09:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

mania wrote:
as far as I'm concerned, the player linking the midfield and the strikers is called a support man

So, how far exactly, are you concerned? Wink

But seriously folks; we're looking for an english term here. So, naturally, we should go with what the English actually use.

I've never heard or read the term "Support Man", and whilst "Withdrawn Striker" may be a good direct translation of the Norwegian term "Hengende Spiss" it is basically Norgelsk (Norwegian pidgin English) and wouldn't necessarily be easily understood by an english speaker.

Far as I know; "Attacking Midfielder" sounds just about right. My own suggestion was "Offensive Midfielder" but I got that from an online American "Soccer" dictionary anyways so I don't trust it 100%. Besides the term is so close to 2mas' term it hardly makes a difference. An Englishman and an American certainly wouldn't have any trouble translating the meaning.
fubar
Veteran

PostPosted: 06.12.2004 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez... Rolling Eyes

Attacking Midfielder is the correct and above all common expression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> English forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Utviklet av phpBB. Tilrettelagt for RBKweb.

ANNONSE
SITATET
© 1999-2024 RBKweb