RBKweb
 OM RBKweb
 ANNONSEINFORMASJON
 RSS-KANAL
 ARKIV
 TA KONTAKT
SØK I ARTIKLER
Debattforum

Alle kan lese innleggene, men man må registrere seg for å delta aktivt i diskusjonene.
Everyone can read the posts, but you have to register before writing your own posts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatistikkStatistikk   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MLS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 23.11.2009 09:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie Russell secured the title

Really fun - a great guy, who actually paid his own trip to support the team in Madrid in 2005 during his knee injury.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 24.11.2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and good read about MLS and its future challenges.

http://blogs.reuters.com/...c=401&

Quote:
MLS’s prudent, intelligent and relatively cautious approach has been largely justified by the steady progress the league has made and (MLS Chairman) Don Garber is perfectly right to celebrate the achievements in bringing the sport to a new level in North America.

But there is, at the heart of all these issues, the conflict between the tried and tested methods of North American major leagues – salary caps, drafts, the desire to keep the gaps between the best and the worst to a minimum, and the fact that, unlike American football and baseball, MLS faces strong competition from overseas leagues and a global labour market for talent.

Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 30.11.2009 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Red Bull New York is set up to hire Erik Soler. Additionally, there's an interesting coach candidate many here may be familiar with I think.

http://www.soccerbyives.n...ntial.html

Quote:
The New York Red Bulls will officially introduce Erik Soler as the team's new general manager later this week. If you were assuming that the hiring of a foreign GM would mean that an MLS head coach would be brought in, think again. There are signs pointing to the club hiring a foreign head coach.

Who are some of the names being floated around for the head coaching position? Sources tell SBI that a leading candidate being considered strongly is former Norwegian national team manager Ã…ge Hareide. A former Norwegian national team teammate of Soler, Hareide has enjoyed success as a coach in different countries, having won league titles in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Hareide most recently coached Swedish club Orgryte, but parted ways with the club just last week, with reports out of Norway suggesting that he was weighing other coaching offers.

There are afew more rumored candidates for the head coaching job, some European and some with MLS experience.

Since MLS is set up differently than most every other soccer league in the world, there would be a steep learning curve for Euro coaches to come here: single entity organization that owns all players, limited salary cap space, college draft, etc.
Bakklandia
Legende

PostPosted: 30.11.2009 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not many years ago you guys even played extra time if a game was tied after 90 minutes, is it?
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 30.11.2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bakklandia wrote:
It's not many years ago you guys even played extra time if a game was tied after 90 minutes, is it?

Over 10 years ago.

MLS began play in 1996, the shootout was played in the event of a tie after overtime until 1999. Since then, MLS doesn't play overtime or go to PK's unless it's the playoffs.

By the way, "the shootout" is not the same as PK's. The shootout is something from the old NASL days and I think it's still a better option than PK's/. Heck, even Franz Beckenbaur prefers it (he played for the old NY Cosmos of the NASL).

For those who aren't familiar with the shootout, think NHL hockey where there's a shooter and the goalie. The shooter starts from the 35 yd line mark and takes off towards the net, the GK can then come out and challenge the shot. The shooter has 8 seconds to score.

Now that was WAY more exciting after playing 120 minutes of soccer than the FIFA rule of going to PK's after overtime.
Bakklandia
Legende

PostPosted: 30.11.2009 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, i vagely remember the game playing extra time after 90 minutes when a played in MLS on, - what you call it over there - Worldwide Soccer manager, but that might very well have been on the 00/01 edition of the game.
Ballahl
Veteran

PostPosted: 01.12.2009 03:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireman451 wrote:
Who are some of the names being floated around for the head coaching position? Sources tell SBI that a leading candidate being considered strongly is former Norwegian national team manager Ã…ge Hareide. A former Norwegian national team teammate of Soler, Hareide has enjoyed success as a coach in different countries, having won league titles in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Hareide most recently coached Swedish club Orgryte, but parted ways with the club just last week, with reports out of Norway suggesting that he was weighing other coaching offers.

Ã…ge Hareide joins Viking Fotballklubb

- Rune var forut for sin tid.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 01.12.2009 06:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just read that news this evening. Looks like that's one more name off the list.

Former Arsenal player and one-time Portsmouth manager Tony Adams is also being mentioned as a potential candidate.

Honestly, foreign coaches have not done that well in MLS without some idea of the American soccer landscape. As mentioned before, coaching ability and understanding of the MLS and American soccer system is what helps domestic coaches (or coaches with American system experience) become successful here.

Clubs here operate within stringent salary cap rules which means you just can't go out and buy any player you want.

Personally, I think Red Bull is making a mistake hiring a foreign GM/Technical Director with absolutely no MLS or American soccer pedigree.

Last edited by Fireman451 on 01.12.2009 17:26; edited 2 times in total
Keenoir
Legende

PostPosted: 01.12.2009 09:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Adams, has been pretty much useless as a coach/manager so far...
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 07.01.2010 18:09    Post subject: Hans Backe named Red Bull New York coach Reply with quote

Hamren beats out Backe for the Swedish National Team head job, and now Backe ends up at RBNY.

What did Backe do wrong? Very Happy

http://www.bigapplesoccer...e_id=22033

Eric Soler (RBNY President) is wasting no time setting up a Scandinavian pipeline to his new club.
Hedning
Legende

PostPosted: 09.01.2010 00:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Hamren beat Backe for the swedish national team job tbh. Backe was their first choice but was occupied with Notts. However the money that was promised to be pumped into that club didn't come and he left (If i understand the situation correctly).
Kjetil Rekdal
Veteran

PostPosted: 07.11.2011 04:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still here Fireman? Dynamo are looking good. Hopefully Salt Lake will beat LA now, that'll make an easier final.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> English forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Utviklet av phpBB. Tilrettelagt for RBKweb.

ANNONSE
SITATET
© 1999-2024 RBKweb