Posted: 11.06.2014 12:14 Post subject: Questions on Norwegian football
Hi there Troillongan,
I have some questions on Norwegian football. Since I became a fan of RBK through their impressive Champions League campaigns in the past, I'm still not very familiar with Norwegian football in general, there are hardly any reports about Tippeligaen over here in Belgium.
1. Does RBK have fierce rivalries? I always figured Brann, Molde and Vålerenga to be your main rivals, though I'm not sure, please enlighten me.
2. Does RBK have friendly relationships as well? I understand your club colours are inspired by Odd's? Or maybe foreign teams from Sweden/Denmark/Finland?
Sorry to be so ignorant, I'm eager to learn though
Joined: 15 May 2010 Posts: 1121 Location: Steinkjer
Posted: 11.06.2014 12:26 Post subject:
1. Our most fierce rivals is Molde. Not only because of how close to eachother we are, but also because of the players that Molde have and have had in the past. Hoseth, Berg Hestad to name a few.
When it comes to other rivals, Vålerenga, Lillestrøm and Brann should be mentioned. In my opinion, the biggest reason for this is the people that support these clubs. Not someone Rosenborg-supporters are very fond of.
2. Rosenborg started out as Odds BK, so you are right in that sense. As for friendly relationships, you could say that Ranheim is in that category. Rosenborg and Ranheim have had a kind of "mother-farmer" club relationship these last years. They are a good team in 1. division, and all players consists of amateurs who works and studies while playing football. Ofcourse, they knocked us out of the Norwegian Cup not long ago, but either way they are a team that are close to Rosenborg.
I would claim Molde and Lillestrøm are our biggest rivals, while Brann and somehow Vålerenga are fun to play against because Trondheim, Bergen and Oslo all have been the capital of Norway and the cities somehow still are fighting between them.
Joined: 29 Oct 2006 Posts: 8005 Location: Trondheim
Posted: 12.06.2014 04:11 Post subject:
The history with Brann is 100 times longer than the history with Vålerenga. I would call our historical rivals Molde, Lillestrøm and Brann. Vålerenga to me is not a bigger rival than for instance Viking in the early 90's, or Strømsgodset in recent years.
The rivalry between Trondheim and Bergen is something that could be traced back to the very beginning of Norwegian history. No such rivalry between Trondheim and Oslo exists in my opinion. Also, where Rosenborg and Brann represents not only the cities of Trondheim and Bergen, but also Trøndelag and major parts of Western Norway. Vålerenga does not represent the whole of Oslo, let alone Eastern Norway.
And the history between Trøndelag and Western Norway is so much longer than the almost non existing history between Trøndelag and Eastern Norway.
Otherwise I would point to Bodø/Glimt as one of our friends. Bodø/Glimt has for many years played in the similar style as Rosenborg. And many players has played for both clubs. Also, Nordlendinger and Trøndere are were alike as people. And many Nordlendinger comes to Trondheim to study at the university here. However, many Bodø/Glimt fans also feel that Rosenborg have been robbing Glimt of their best players, and because of this dislike Rosenborg.
2. There isn't any official friendship, but there's a few more or less established fangroupbased friendships with York City, Boavista and Lyn (And with parts of the Stabæk-fans) _________________ Forsanger